Is there anything more festive in Fiji than Gulab Jamun? These tasty morsels are never missing from snack packs, Diwali boxes and on the table when entertaining guests. Here is a recipe sure to wow family and friends on any occasion
What you'll need?
- 400g FMF Self raising Flour
- 1 tin Condensed millk
- 1 tsp cardamon powder
- Butter/Ghee 2 tablespoons
- 500 ml Ghee for frying
- 3 cups White Sugar
- 3 cups Water
- 5 tbsp powdered milk
What to do?
- Sieve the FMF self raising flour.
- Melt the butter or ghee.
- Pour condense milk in a mixing bowl.
- Add the cardamon powder, 2tbsp ghee or butter and powdered milk to condense milk and whisk with a fork until you see bubbles.
- Add FMF self raising flour to the mixture and mix well using your hands. Should form a medium to hard dough
- Take small pieces of dough and make round long shaped Gulab Jamun.
- Let it stand on greased tray.
- Prepare syrup with 3 cups of water and 3 cups of white sugar.
- Boil the syrup over medium heat until you get 1 string consistency. Keep the syrup flame on low low heat and let it simmer.
- Heat ghee fry the gulab jamun till golden brown.
- Take out the fried gulab jamun from the ghee and add it to the syrup. Leave in the syrup for approximately 2 minutes or until it has absorbed syrup well.
- Take out the gulab jamun from the syrup and let it cool on a tray.
- Fry all Gulab Jamun in small batches until finished.
You can make about 90 pieces of Gulab Jamun! Serve and enjoy!